After living here in East Asia for awhile, I think people begin to take advantage of the fact that you should speak their language. Like- oh you live in my country, therefore, you should speak my language and I expect that of you. AND, I expect you to understand me when I speak 100 mph and I use really difficult words. I mean, unfortunately we do the same thing to foreigners in the U.S. ..anyway..
Well today I met this man who was selling fruits and vegetables and I think I gave him a little surprise. He had some delicious looking strawberries for sale. So after the small talk of: Wow these look good. How much are your strawberries? Are they sweet? etc, etc, etc. He asks:
him: So how long have you been here? (very typical question)
me: A little over two years (total)
him: five years? (didn't hear me)
me: no, two years.
him: only TWO YEARS??? Your language is so good! Are you a student? (another very typical question)
me: you are too kind, my language is not that good. (modesty is important in East Asia!) Yes, I am a student at the nearby university.
him: wow, you're language is so standard, your pronunciation is so good! You are a great student!
me: again, not true, but thank you. :)
It's encouragement like that, that reminds me, yes, I am improving and yes, people are noticing. And it's just nice to surprise someone who doesn't expect you to speak their language. And he was just a sweet guy too!
No comments:
Post a Comment