Two days ago, I walked to the bank. I simply wanted to pull out some money. I should've known that the whole ordeal would turn into a blogpost. I'm learning that this is usually how my life works.
I got to the bank and the ATM outside the bank had a HUGE line. One of the workers stepped outside, looked at the line, looked at me and said "Are you wanting to take money out?" I said "Yes". She said "Okay, come inside". I've never actually been inside this bank before because I usually just use the ATM outside but sure enough, there's a second ATM inside that only had one person in line. Awesome.
Next thing I know, the same worker lady is standing right next to me explaining how to use the ATM. I tell her kindly that I know how to use the ATM because I've done it before. She then proceeds to ask me the normal questions:
"Where are you from?"
"How long have you lived here?"
"Do you teach or study at the nearby university?"
"Do you know my other foreigner friend? He is big and American. Do you know him?"
After the string of questions were asked and answered, it was my turn to use the ATM. She continued to stand maybe uncomfortably close to me as I put my card in, typed my pin, and proceeded through the directions. She then looked and me, touched my arm and says "I think you are a good person. You speak our language very well and you are so beautiful."
Now the people here are surprised when we can say ANYTHING in their language and so they are constantly telling us how good our language skills are. (Even when it's not!) But something about the sincerity of her voice brought tears to my eyes. I looked at her and told her thank you for saying such kind things. She then introduced me to two other bank workers as her "new foreigner friend" and then I was on my way.
I never expected to see such kindness and beauty all while using an ATM.
No comments:
Post a Comment