Sunday, January 5, 2014

2013 Living

I've been wanting to write a post remembering this past year: where I've been and how the Lord has seen me through. I wanted to share some highlights with you all, so sorry this is long. :)  If you want the short version… just scroll through the pictures, although some of them have nothing to do with what I wrote about but you'll have that. You will also quickly find out that I love taking pictures of the sky ;)
 
January: Struggling
I went to Thailand for a few weeks. It was a rough three weeks though, in all honesty. There was a lot of sickness, including my little 2 year old buddy, A, who had to stay a few days in the hospital.  A lot of hard decisions being made. Goodbyes being said. I was super emotional. I actually felt okay about leaving Thailand to come back to EA.  That NEVER happens!


February: Challenging
Spent the month reading books and working on a paper for a class I took while in Thailand. I felt good about my paper when I finished and I realized I had learned a ton.  It was a challenging class, but I enjoyed it. We also took time off to celebrate a local holiday here in East Asia!


March: Learning
Started a new semester. Felt stretched in new ways. Learned a lot of new things about myself. 


April: Loving
What I mostly remember was that I was sick. Really sick. Go to see an East Asian doctor sick. (You avoid it like the plague if you can). But I also had a sweet month of fellowship with people here and felt the Lord's presence every step of the way. Aside from being sick, it was a really good month.



May: Breathing
I finished up the semester. I was pretty tired, tired of being sick and ready to go home. I left for the Motherland. America. I felt so relieved to be home. I wanted to be able to rest. And breathe. 


June: Enjoying
Hung out with family and friends. Goooood food. Readjusted. Loved the warm weather. Blue skies. Green grass. Running. Still breathing. 



July: Laughing
July was great. Fourth of July and my Dad's birthday. My birthday. A trip to Colorado. And Washington DC to see family. Sharing at churches. More breathing.


August: Leaving
I visited a tiny town in Kentucky to say goodbye to a sweet family member, a great-aunt, who passed away. I am glad I was home to say goodbye and to grieve with my family.  Two weeks later, I said goodbye to family and friends and headed back across the pond to EA.  I do not like goodbyes.



September: Transitioning
Back to school. Hard transition back to East Asia. It took me a long time to feel like I had adjusted back. I was anxious, uncomfortable and missing home. Life was sort of turned upside down. Lots of tears. September was the hardest month of the year.



October: ??
I honestly don't remember much about October. I know there was a lot of language class and spending time with local friends. Otherwise, it's one big blur.



November: Leaving (Round 2)
I flew back to America for a couple weeks. Life had started to normalize in EA and I was leaving again. I was a bridesmaid in one of my best friend's wedding. Saw tons of friends and family. Celebrated Thanksgiving. Watched lots of football. Had good, much-needed conversations. Experienced the Lord's faithfulness. 


December: Celebrating
Friends visited my city and I took a trip to visit friends in another city. Lots of Christmas activities: parties, dinners, decorating trees, baking cookies, watching movies, eating hot pot, sharing good news, enjoying the season and all that God has done for us. The bummer was I ended the year super sick; stomach virus and cold that wiped me out. 


When I think about this last year, I think about the Lord's faithfulness. It was a hard year at times, but I experienced so much of his love and grace in the midst of it. He is SO loving and faithful. I am amazed!

2013 also makes me think about airplanes because I flew on at least one every month of this year.  (Except June)



No comments:

Post a Comment