Wednesday, October 16, 2013

typical day off

As busy as things can be around here, I'm learning the importance of taking a day off.  A day to rest. And to just be and be with the Lord. In my 4 years overseas, I think I've finally figured out some of my favorite things to do on a typical day off are.

First off... I love to sleep in.  Waking up early for class does it's toll on a girl, so sleeping in is a must.

I also love a good breakfast.  Breakfast foods are some of my favorites so I love to wake up and make a yummy breakfast.  Pancakes or eggs and bacon or biscuits and gravy... something like that.  And I definitely need a good cup of coffee :)


Because I'm so full after that I usually lay around and read and spend time with the Lord.  I love sitting in my apartment window seat and spending time reading the Word or praying.   Or maybe first I will chat on Skype with a family member or a friend while it's still evening time in America.

view from my apartment window

After I'm a bit less full, I usually head to the gym.  Go for a little run or do some kind of workout.

When I get home, I'll shower and maybe think about lunch.  Or if I'm still not hungry because I ate such a big breakfast, I'll just wait until dinner.  In the afternoons, I like to sometimes just continue to be lazy and read or watch a movie.  Maybe go over to a friend's who lives in my complex and hangout or just play with said friend's kiddos.  We have been watching a couple tv shows with friends so sometimes when we're all free we will catch up on a tv show together.  (Fringe? Parenthood? Two of our favorites...but very different.)  Still keeping it low key.  I'm finding that staying around home or friend's homes in my complex are the best for me... going out into the "real world", into the culture can be tiring for me if I do it all day.  So usually on a day off, I like to retreat and just kinda stay put.

 Some of my favorite people...the B family and I (and Princess Bear!) having a Saturday afternoon movie party


Maybe at night I'll be ready to head out into the world a bit more... go out to eat with a group of friends or go out for ice cream or something.  Maybe a friend's having a party and I head there.  Time with the Lord, good food and good friends are usually components for a good day off :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment