Friday, August 10, 2012

inappropriate in our culture, totally fine here.

There are many times that I have to remind myself that I'm an American and my culture is TOTALLY different that the one I'm currently living in.  Many times people say things that we would deem inappropriate or not okay to say or ask, but here it's common conversation.  

Some examples:

1.) “Oh that building you live in is nice! How much is your rent every month?”

2.) “Are you married?”
      “No”
      “Well, why not?”

3.) And my personal favorite from a conversation I overheard at the bank:    
    “Wow! You look fatter than the last time I saw you.  Have you eaten a lot lately?”

See what I mean?  Once I realized what people were asking me or telling me, one of the best phrases I learned to say was "That's not really polite to say in my culture so I don't want to answer you."   It's helped me out in a few awkward situations :)

1 comment: