Thursday, July 19, 2012

language learning realization #864

So when we're in a group of Americans and East Asians together, we usually speak in their language. It's a way for us to show them love and it's a good opportunity for us to grow in learning this language.  Well my first semester or so here, I wasn't doing a lot of speaking (mostly listening). My favorite thing would be when two Americans would start speaking in East Asian to each other, which would happen sometimes just so that all the East Asians would know what was still going on.  It always made me laugh.  How weird is it that two English speakers are speaking to each other in another language??

Well it happened.  to me.

Last week, we were all talking and an American friend was telling a story and I wanted to ask a question, so I asked him and he responded.  all in another language. 

It happened so fast that at first I didn't notice. But then later, I realized THAT JUST HAPPENED! And I want to remember those moments so I continue to remember how far I've come and how thankful I am to be able to communicate with my friends in their own language.

No comments:

Post a Comment