So after a 30 minute bus ride and a 15 minute walk, I arrived at her house. And boy was I ready for some lunch. I went into the the kitchen and grandma was ready to rock:
The first dishes that came out were like appetizers and they're actually cold dishes. One was cucumbers and the other was a special vegetable that apparently cannot be bought in the store but only found growing on the side of a mountain or something. So yes, I was quite a bit nervous, but it was love at first bite. So delicious and I quickly forgot about where my lunch came from.
The next dish was probably my favorite. carmelized potatoes. It maybe sounds weird, but so good. It's basically fried potatoes covered in sugary goodness. Picture? Why yes! Here you go:
And the dishes kept coming one by one and I kept thinking I am going to need to be carried out on a stretcher (as my papa would say). so.much.food.
My friend whipped out some bread that basically looks like a giant tortilla to eat with the dishes since we didn't have rice (the usual staple). I said "I'll take half. maybe half of a half" It was huge!
Just when i thought it was safe to stop eating, I hear Grandma in the kitchen still moving around. I said "now what are you making??" Oh, just some dumplings. did she just saying dumplings? Not only one of my favorite foods here, but she made my favorite kind of dumplings! here's what they look like:
So after 6 dishes, that bread, a plate of dumplings and a few cups of tea later, we clear the table and clean up and they begin to offer me fruit. (I hope you're noticing a pattern here.) I seriously haven't been that full in a loonngg time. But it was so fun! Nothing like family with good food and good conversation on a hot summer day.
No comments:
Post a Comment